My Blog

What is covered under home insurance?

by Chris Brown on August 9, 2016 Comments Off on What is covered under home insurance?

Most standard buildings and contents insurance policies will cover loss or damage caused by:

  • Fire, aircraft, lightning, explosion or earthquake
  • Theft (or attempted theft)
  • Riots or vandalism
  • Storms or flooding
  • Subsidence, heave and landslip
  • Falling trees
  • Impact e.g. a car colliding with your house
  • Escaping or leaking water or oil
  • Your liability as occupier of the house

Damage caused by wear and tear, acts of war or terrorism are not normally covered by Buildings Insurance. Your policy may also be invalidated if your property is left unoccupied for more than 30 days during the year.

You may also add additional cover to your policy to cover such things as accidental damage and legal expenses. These normally incur an additional premium.

Chris BrownWhat is covered under home insurance?