CIC Blog

How can I reduce the cost of my contents insurance?

by Chris Brown on August 31, 2016

There are a number of ways in which to bring down the cost of your contents insurance.

No claims discount

If you haven’t made a claim in the last few years, then your insurance providers will lower your premiums

Combined covers

Most insurers will give you a discount on your home insurance premiums if you combine your buildings and contents cover

Neighbourhood Watch

Having a neighbourhood watch running shows your insurers that your home has increased protection against burglary. This provides incentive for giving you a discount. .

Home security

Further protection by an insurance approved alarm or security system will give you a discounted premium. For information on security systems that are approved, contact your insurance provider.

Indemnity policies

Most policies offer new for old cover, where the full cost of repairing damaged items, or replacing old items with new is covered by the insurer. Idemnity policies deduct an amount for wear and tear when you make a claim. Whilst these policies offer savings, they can leave you out of pocket particularly when making a large claim.

Policy excess

The more excess you agree to pay up front in the event of a claim, the lower premium will be.

read more
Chris BrownHow can I reduce the cost of my contents insurance?

How much does contents insurance cost?

by Chris Brown on August 31, 2016

There is no set cost for contents insurance, as many factors unique to your circumstances can change how much you pay for your policy. As an example, just some of the variables that can alter premiums include:

  • Where you live. Your postcode will help your policy holder determine your premiums based on such things as whether your home is in a flood risk area, or one with high crime rates.

  • The age of your home

  • The type of house you live in. Those that attract higher premiums include those built with a timber frame or thatched roof, or if it’s a listed property or located in a conservation area.

  • The policy itself – not all cover is the same!

read more
Chris BrownHow much does contents insurance cost?

How much contents insurance do I need?

by Chris Brown on August 31, 2016


Contents insurance can either be calculated on a bedroom rated basis or on a sum insured basis.

If you opt for a sum insured basis, you need to work out how much cover you need to make sure all the contents in your house are adequately covered under your policy.

The best way to work out how much cover you need for your contents is to walk around your house logging all of your possessions. By going room to room and assigning a value to all of your possessions, you can get a definitive value for your contents.

A point to note here is that an amount of inflation should be added to the total value to achieve a replacement as new cost. Remember to check and update your contents regularly to ensure you are not under-insured.

To get a complete understanding of your contents insurance, make sure you have annual contact with your insurer to add or take away any items that you have bought or lost over the year. Also make that you understand your insurance documents completely, including how much you are covered for.

read more
Chris BrownHow much contents insurance do I need?

Why do I need holiday home insurance?

by Chris Brown on August 31, 2016

Holiday homes are a luxury item known to remain empty for much of the year. For this reason they make an easy target for thieves. Because of this higher risk of being burgled, holiday homes are not insured in the same way as normal homes, and must be specified as such when you are buying the insurance.

If you have a holiday home and do not specify that it is not always occupied at the time of purchasing the insurance, then your insurance company may void a claim in the event of damage or burglary.

read more
Chris BrownWhy do I need holiday home insurance?

How much buildings insurance do I need?

by Chris Brown on August 9, 2016

The amount of buildings insurance you need must be sufficient to cover the cost of rebuilding your home.

An important point to note is that the cost of rebuilding your home is not the same as the price you would receive should you sell your property (the market price). It is generally lower and covers the cost of totally rebuilding the property. The amount covered should also include the cost for demolition, site clearance, builders and architects fees.

Assessing the cost correctly is important to avoid paying too much for unnecessary cover, or not having sufficient cover that leaves you with a hefty bill to cover any shortfall.

If you extend, rebuild or renovate your home it’s recommended that you review your buildings insurance policy to ensure sufficient cover is provided.

read more
Chris BrownHow much buildings insurance do I need?

What is covered under home insurance?

by Chris Brown on August 9, 2016

Most standard buildings and contents insurance policies will cover loss or damage caused by:

  • Fire, aircraft, lightning, explosion or earthquake
  • Theft (or attempted theft)
  • Riots or vandalism
  • Storms or flooding
  • Subsidence, heave and landslip
  • Falling trees
  • Impact e.g. a car colliding with your house
  • Escaping or leaking water or oil
  • Your liability as occupier of the house

Damage caused by wear and tear, acts of war or terrorism are not normally covered by Buildings Insurance. Your policy may also be invalidated if your property is left unoccupied for more than 30 days during the year.

You may also add additional cover to your policy to cover such things as accidental damage and legal expenses. These normally incur an additional premium.

read more
Chris BrownWhat is covered under home insurance?

What home insurance do I need?

by Chris Brown on August 9, 2016

Whether you live in a one bedroom maisonette or a seven bedroom house, your home might suffer damage to as a result of a fire, flood, storm, subsidence, burst pipes or act of burglary.

To provide adequate financial protection to bring about remedial repairs to the structure of your home and replace damaged or stolen contents you should protect yourself with two types of insurance:

Buildings Insurance

This provides cover to bring about repairs to the structure of your home including:

  • Walls, ceiling and roofs
  • Permanent fixtures, fittings and decoration within the house such as a fitted kitchen or bathroom suite
  • Gates, fences and footpaths within your property boundaries
  • Pipes and cables

Contents Insurance

This covers repair and replacement costs for moveable contents such as:

  • Household goods such as cookers, fridges, washing machines and dishwashers
  • Electronic items such as TV’s and music systems
  • Furniture and furnishings such as beds, sofas, carpets, rugs and curtains
  • Valuables including jewellery, art and antiques
  • Personal items such as clothes and shoes

A contents policy may also include cover for replacing keys and locks, freezer contents, money, replacement glass, outbuilding contents, TV aerials and satellite dishes, as well as the cost of alternative accommodation should you need to move out whilst repairs take place.

read more
Chris BrownWhat home insurance do I need?