My Blog

What home insurance do I need?

by Chris Brown on August 9, 2016 Comments Off on What home insurance do I need?

Whether you live in a one bedroom maisonette or a seven bedroom house, your home might suffer damage to as a result of a fire, flood, storm, subsidence, burst pipes or act of burglary.

To provide adequate financial protection to bring about remedial repairs to the structure of your home and replace damaged or stolen contents you should protect yourself with two types of insurance:

Buildings Insurance

This provides cover to bring about repairs to the structure of your home including:

  • Walls, ceiling and roofs
  • Permanent fixtures, fittings and decoration within the house such as a fitted kitchen or bathroom suite
  • Gates, fences and footpaths within your property boundaries
  • Pipes and cables

Contents Insurance

This covers repair and replacement costs for moveable contents such as:

  • Household goods such as cookers, fridges, washing machines and dishwashers
  • Electronic items such as TV’s and music systems
  • Furniture and furnishings such as beds, sofas, carpets, rugs and curtains
  • Valuables including jewellery, art and antiques
  • Personal items such as clothes and shoes

A contents policy may also include cover for replacing keys and locks, freezer contents, money, replacement glass, outbuilding contents, TV aerials and satellite dishes, as well as the cost of alternative accommodation should you need to move out whilst repairs take place.

Chris BrownWhat home insurance do I need?